Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium (or 2 small) sweet potato
1 small butternut squash*
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
Pinch of garlic salt
Pinch of chipotle chile powder*
2 Pinches of table salt
1. Heat oven to 400º.
2. Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp and seeds. Prick sweet potato a few times with a knife.
3. Place squash and sweet potato on foil-lined baking sheet.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until squash and potato are tender.*
5. Combine chicken broth, milk, and spices in a large saucepan over medium low heat.
6. Add cooked squash and sweet potato to saucepan.
7. Either blend ingredients together in the saucepan or transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
8. Add extra broth if necessary. Taste and add more salt or spices if necessary.
9. Serve with chopped avocado on top and a grilled cheese if desired.
*Tips and Tricks:
- The smallest butternut squash I could buy weighed 3 pounds. Small is relative. Just buy whatever you can - you'll make it work.
- If you don't have chipotle powder feel free to substitute smoked paprika or cayenne pepper in its place.
- I used small sweet potatoes and they only needed 30 minutes to cook while the squash needed a full hour. If you're using a medium or large sweet potato it will need 45 minutes to an hour like the squash. Just poke it every so often with a fork to see if it is soft and cooked through.
- This recipe made enough for Lars and I to have for dinner and for me to have a small lunch the next day. Feel free to double or triple the recipe if you're making it for a larger group.